> So onto the walk in wardrobes… here are the floor to nearly the ceiling doors in dry fit. The Oak is really clean, and very mild to plane by hand.
>Started on the fielded panels this morning, I profile these on my spindle moulder using an upright jig and a 12 degree cutter. here’s the set up of the jig..
>Got a bit of progress on these today starting with the doors, I’ve done all the mortices, and tenons. Then I tried all the joints for a dry fit, and for nice grain matching. I have to say that the Oak boards Boddys sent me are superb, with a really prominent medullary ray fleck pattern on 90% of the boards. I think Oak has to be one of my all time favourite timbers to work with, it planes well, joinery is crisp, and it looks stunning when a finish is applied.
>I have made a start on the oak wardrobes and cabinets today, I cut all of the sheet materials with my track-saw. I’m using Maxcut v2 on my laptop to help with maximizing sheet materials, this is a free download, you just need to re-register every 30 days. First impressions are it’s really easy to use.
I then assembled the wall cabinets. I didn’t take pic’s of this as it’s very boring, but here are the finished units.
>Whilst most think that having a very old barn for a cabinet shop is very right and proper, romantic perhaps. Maybe when clients come to visit they feel that their cabinets are made in a nostalgic location, that harkens back to the good old days. The reality is very different, when I decided to start this business a few years ago I had the space of a large single garage….I yearned for more. So my father gave me what I wanted, little did I know then of the true cost of conversion, or buying machinery. Maybe with hindsight I should of spent my money on renting a modern workshop with the amenity’s that come with such a space. But hindsight is a wonderful thing, and I have what I have.
A new roof was the first part, duly followed with a new floor for the machine room, then electrics. My money soon got gobbled up quicker than I thought, so I called a halt to more improvements till such time as I could afford more. Now I don’t have the money for what I would really like to do, I must make the best of what I have, and I am very grateful for what space I do have. The machine room is OK, but could benefit from being insulated, and that’s about it really…oh and about another 500 sq-ft. I have been looking at my assembly area the most, the first area that needed improvement was my assembly bench which measures 5′x2′, and just isn’t big enough for anything of size. I took to laying a sheet of mdf over this, but this kept bending, and you can’t make decent work if what you are building it on isn’t level. So I decided to make a new one with storage underneath…..
>It’s been a while since I updated this Blog, I’ve been on a site for the last few weeks fitting floors, skirting’s, and general carpentry work. I have also been doing a few jobs around the workshop, a new setting out bench, and filling the holes in the concrete(one sprained ankle too many). I will post a few pic’s of the “improvements” next time. I had to make a MDF bookcase last week, I didn’t do a wip as time was tight, but here it is finished…